We all heard someone who said we shouldn’t give candies and chocolate to dogs but he/she never explained to us why! This is a question troubling most of the dog lovers. Why shouldn’t I give candies or chocolate to my dog? It tastes good and I won’t give him big proportions so it won’t get fat. But obesity by candies is not the reason why we shouldn’t give it to dogs.
First of all, the reason behind candies is different than chocolates. Candies and especially sugar-free candies contain a sweetener called Xylitol. Xylitol is one of the most popular sweeteners nowadays and although it doesn’t harm humans, for dogs is poisonous. A poison which causes dog’s blood sugar to drop and eventually causes liver failure and all these in three days. If you suspect or notice that your dog ate a candy you shouldn’t worry. But you should worry if you notice your dog vomiting, getting sleepy and loses its sense of orientation and you must call your vet immediately!
Now, the problem behind chocolate is completely different. And the seriousness of the matter depends on how much cocoa is included in the chocolate bar and how big your dog is. If a big dog eats a piece of chocolate, it may only hurt its belly but the same piece eaten by a small dog like a Pug or Chihuahua may be fatal. All those are caused by a toxic component found in cocoa called Theobromine. Theobromine can be easily metabolized by humans but dogs need a lot more time to metabolize it and it gets extremely toxic. If your dog ate chocolate and after a couple of hours you noticed it vomiting and has diarrhea you should immediately call your vet.
The best precaution is teaching your family about the problems candies and chocolate will cause to your pet. You shouldn’t freak out if your dog or puppy eats candy or chocolate but you should be ready for a visit to the vet after the symptoms appear!